I’m something of a fanatic when it comes to well written mission statements. When done well, a mission statement explicitly states the exact reason for this company’s existence. It can be incredibly challenging to pare down one’s entire manifesto and belief system into one or two sentences. Once written, the mission statement will guide the actions of an organisation, directing its staff towards a unified goal and guiding decision-making.
Below are some of my favourite mission statements I have found in recent years:
Multinational financial services corporation.
- To be the world’s most respected service brand
Global energy and oil company.
“At the heart of The Chevron Way is our Vision to be the global energy company most admired for its people, partnership and performance.”
The Dow Chemical Company
Global chemical company whose specialty is in performance plastics.
“To constantly improve what is essential to human progress by mastering science and technology.”
Global parcel delivery.
- FedEx will produce superior financial returns for shareowners by providing high value-added supply chain, transportation, business and related information services through focused operating companies.
- Customer requirements will be met in the highest quality manner appropriate to each market segment served.
- FedEx will strive to develop mutually rewarding relationships with its employees, partners and suppliers.
- Safety will be the first consideration in all operations. Corporate activities will be conducted to the highest ethical and professional standards
Bottled iced tea.
- Honest Tea seeks to create and promote great-tasting, organic beverages.
- We strive to grow our business with the same honesty and integrity we use to craft our products, with sustainability and great taste for all.
Affordable Swedish design and furniture.
- A better everyday life.
Digital prototyping and mock-up service provider.
- Question Assumptions.
- Think Deeply.
- Iterate as a Lifestyle.
- Details, Details.
- Design is Everywhere.
Life is Good
- Spread the power of optimism.
Outdoor clothing and supplies.
- Build the best product
- Cause no unnecessary harm
- Use business to inspire and implement solutions to the environmental crisis.
The award-winning provider of care homes in the North East, Newcastle and Sunderland.
- To provide the highest standards of service for our residents.
- To provide our staff with the right environment, motivation and training through which to excel.
- To continuously invest in our assets, and ensure we comfortably exceed industry standards.
Director of Care Bunty Malhotra said this about Prestwick Care:
“When we are at our most vulnerable in life, what is required of others is understanding, compassion and dignified care. We believe in providing all of these as core elements of the Prestwick Care service”.
Ethical restaurant chain.
- Connect people.
Eyeglasses and sunglasses manufacturer.
- Offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price, while leading the way for socially conscious businesses.